Texas is known to experience extreme weather emergencies without warning. The Gulf of Mexico is notorious for storms and flash floods.
Buying a storm-safe room provides a safe place for you and your family to retreat to in case a natural disaster occurs. Depending on the type of storms you experience, this blog will help you decide whether an in-ground or above-ground shelter is suited for you.
Let’s see the difference between the two.
Above-ground Storm Shelters
If you live in an area that experiences floods and tornadoes, an above-ground shelter will be ideal for you and your family. Such a safe room shelter is a common choice for folks who don’t have a basement on their property and is less likely to flood in case of excessive rain.
Above-ground shelters are built and tested to withstand EF5 tornadoes and are manufactured under FEMA guidelines for protection. Let’s take a look at the pros and cons of above-ground shelter safe rooms:
- Offer easier access during emergencies
- Ideal for homes with pets and elderly folk compared to the in-ground safe room sheltersbecause of the stairs
- Can be installed as an extension of your property
- Increase property value and safety of residents
- Take up space on the property
- Higher chances of getting struck when leaving the property to seek shelter
Below-ground Storm Shelters
Below-ground storm shelters protect you and your loved ones from flying debris when seeking safety. They are commonly built to provide maximum safety and protection against various strong winds and disasters, providing internal access to family members.
Here are a few benefits and drawbacks of in-ground shelters:
- Don’t require much space and can be installed in the basement
- Can also be used as safety vaults or panic rooms
- Lower chances of harm from debris during an emergency
- Can be difficult to accessby people with mobility issues
- Difficult to spot if covered by debris
- May leak if flooding occurs
- Rescuers may find it difficult to spot the shelter
- Animals or insects may find a home in an in-ground shelter
Your choice of shelter depends on where you are based and your personal preferences. An area with flash floods is more suited to above-ground shelters, while underground shelters are perfect for tornadoes and hurricanes. It is best to reach out to an expert before installing a shelter to protect you and your family.
Get In Touch With The Storm Shelter Experts!
Safe Rooms US provides various above-ground and in-ground shelters to cater to a wide range of customer needs. If you are looking for custom safe rooms and tornado shelters in Dallas, Texas, we are here for you. Our mission is to provide high-quality safe rooms, concrete shelters, and underground garage shelters to protect you and your loved ones during emergencies.
Our products are built according to FEMA guidelines and are tested to withstand EF5 tornadoes.
Reach out to us today for more information, or click here to learn more!