As Hurricane Hanna harkens the arrival of the U.S. monsoon season, homeowners in vulnerable areas are rushing to the stores and stocking their storm shelters with all the necessities they need.
But par the kitchen sink, how do you decide what the essentials are?
At US Safe Rooms, we’ve installed more aboveground safe rooms in Texas and Oklahoma than we can count. And for each client, we offer recommendations on what they could store in their shelter.
So, to answer all questions on essentials once and for all, here is a list of everything you need:
For Food And Water
- Non-perishable canned fruits and vegetables
- Canned ravioli and soup
- Canned fish and chicken
- Peanut butter
- Cracker boxes
- Granola bars
- Trail mix
- Ready to Eat meals
- Beef jerky
- Disposable plates and cups, utensils
- A gallon of water, per person
- Pet food, if needed
- Baby formula, baby food, bottles, sterilization machine, if needed
- Can opener
- Warm clothes like gloves and hats
- Work gloves
- Bike helmets
- Extra change of clothes, each stored in zip-plastic bags
For Injuries and Illnesses
All of the items below will need to be secured in a padded backpack.
- OTC pain medication
- Prescription medication for each person, if needed (a three-day dose)
- A filled out first aid kit
- Instant hot and cold compress
- Non-latex gloves
- Sleeping bags
- Battery-powered radio
- Battery-powered flashlights
- Extra packets of batteries
- Charging pack for cellphones
- Cellphone charger wires
- Swiss army knife
- Nylon rope
- Waterproof matches
Keep all the documents below in an accordion folder, tucked into the padded backpack:
- Medical documents
- House deeds
- Insurance papers
- Bank information
- Birth certificate
- Tax information
Where Should You Store All These Items?
If you’re thinking about storing all this in your basement or interior closet, that may not be a good idea.
Considering how dangerous it can be to seek shelter in the basement during a storm or a tornado, we recommend investing in a storm shelter. Not to toot our own horn, but our shelters not only keep you secure, but they also provide you with a sanctuary for all family members, and even future homeowners if you plan to sell your property.
Get in touch with us. We’d be happy to equip you with a top-of-the-line aboveground safe room, just in time for the new season!